When you live a sober life after addiction, your overall health improves immensely. This is because you no longer attack your body by putting dangerous amounts of toxic substances into it. As a result, your immune system increases and your life changes for the better in many ways. Whether you're an addict or just looking to improve your health, here are 14 reasons why sobriety makes your life healthier, more satisfying and fun.
Fatal overdoses caused by drug addiction have lowered the overall life expectancy of Americans. Even if you never overdose, drug and alcohol addiction can cause serious health problems that reduce both the quality and duration of your life. In addition to living a better and more satisfying life, sobriety can also lengthen your years due to increased health and well-being. A sober life allows you to recover the positive aspects of your life, access them and experience them wholeheartedly. Without drugs or alcohol, you will begin to understand feelings of appreciation, love, support, joy, connection.
You will create moments with your loved ones, remember them and keep them close. You will shape a life that is worth living - a life that is mentally, psychologically and physically positive. Surprise, surprise, but a more restful sleep leads to more energy. If someone is dependent on alcohol, then he does not sleep what he needs, and therefore puts additional strain on his body and mind every day. Sleep is a period of cleansing.
Similar to how a sponge is squeezed out, brain cells wither up to 40% of their usual size to expose and remove debris. Meanwhile, sleep is also the time when the body heals itself. Being sober means that nothing slows down brain function and that the right amount of dopamine communicates with nerve cells in the brain. The end result is a happier lifestyle overall. Wondering what life will be like when you're sober? Do you need a kind reminder of why it's better to be sober? Check out these 10 ways life definitely gets better once you get sober. Here are just 10 examples of the many ways a sober life will make your life great:
- Once you stop poisoning your body with toxins, your complexion will inevitably look better.
Imperfections disappear, wrinkles lose some of their definition and dark circles are reduced to a minimum. Some people find that once they start living sober they look 10 years younger.
- But it's not a superficial benefit. When we look better, we inevitably feel better about ourselves. All the other benefits of a sober life will also make you smile more, which will definitely make you look great.
- Part of living a sober life is setting healthy boundaries and understanding the negative or positive impact of the people and things you choose to surround yourself with.
- However, if you are currently struggling with drug or alcohol abuse, living sober may not seem like a greener grass on the other side.
- I really think you have to WANT to be sober for YOU, not by anyone else, not out of fear of losing someone but because of you and your sanity, and I don't think that until you really cross that threshold you can really appreciate being sober in the first place.
- Either way, as you continue to live a sober life, you may learn to love yourself (with your faults and all that), respect yourself, and feel safe and good with the new choices you are making.
- If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction and are ready to live a sober life, contact The Recovery Village.
- The benefits of being sober include real relationships and experiences that you might otherwise miss, along with many other good reasons to be sober.
- The benefits you thought you had from using drugs and alcohol will be embarrassed when you discover that nothing compares to the benefits you get from living sober.
- If you are a parent, this is a huge area where living sober will positively affect your life and that of those around you.
- Over time, living a sober life can take years off your appearance, which can also help boost your self-esteem.
- Maybe you're sober recently and the pink cloud never appeared for you or you're struggling to adapt to a sober lifestyle.
- As you continue to live a sober life, setting these limits will become more natural and you will reap the benefits on a daily basis.
- Yes, you'll have more fun living sober than intoxicated (even if it doesn't seem that way at first).
While boosting your self-esteem will still require some work and it doesn't just happen magically once you enter recovery, living sober will contribute to healthy self-esteem in the long run.
- To learn more about the benefits of sober living or to start your recovery journey, don't hesitate to call Turnbridge at 877-581-1793 today.
- Living sober will leave you with extra money that you would otherwise spend on fueling your alcohol or drug addiction.